Monday, May 24, 2010

What is Everyday Truth?

Welcome to Everyday Truth. I never thought I'd be writing a blog about parenting. Heaven knows my kids are far from perfect. Today is our first day of summer vacation, and I've already broken up more fights than I care to count. And, yes, I've already heard the words "I'm bored." (I offered her a toothbrush and a pail of soapy water to clean the bathroom, and she decided she wasn't quite so bored.)

However inadequate I often feel as a mom, God has placed a desire in my heart to share with other parents the simple truth that we are to teach our children God's words and truth as we go through life. Too often, we think that our kids need to have some big, spiritual experience to really grasp the truth of the gospel. Because we don't feel like we can provide the "wow" experience for them, we neglect to teach them the way God directs. Deuteronomy 6:7 says, "Impress them (God's words) on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up." The Bible is pretty clear that we are to teach our children about God as we go about our lives. We don't have to drop everything and say "Now we are going to learn about God." We can incorporate it into our lives as we go to soccer practice or at the dinner table or as you tuck your children into bed.

This blog stems from a Bible study I created and taught this spring at my church. The ladies who took the study inspired me with how they took the principles we talked about in class and applied them to their families. We were all sad when our time together came to an end. This blog is an extension of that study. My prayer is that this blog would become a forum for sharing how each of us teaches our children about God as we live our busy lives. You'll be surprised to find that you will sometimes learn just as much as your children.

My plan is to share with you some of the adventures of our lives that have resulted in great activities and conversations that have led my kids to think about God. I'll also share some of our favorite traditions and activities that pull our family's focus back to God.

I'm in no way an expert on parenting, just a mom who loves Jesus and wants her kids to love Him, too. So come walk along the pathways of life with us and share in our moments of Everyday Truth.

1 comment:

  1. AWESOME idea for a blog!! I love that God has given you a heart for this. I look forward to reading! You have a great way of both relating to your reader, and inspiring. GREAT JOB, LORI!!!!

    ReplyDelete