Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Life Interrupted

Do you like the Everyday Truth blog? Want to go deeper in learning how to teach your children Biblical truths? Join me for the Everyday Truth Bible study from 9:30-11:30 on Wednesday mornings at Westside Family Church in Lenexa. Childcare is available. Register at Westside Family Church. Click on LifeStudies and type Everyday Truth into the search box.


Can't join me in the mornings? I'll be teaching a new parenting study called Laying the Foundation: Being the Parent God Intended on Wednesday evenings from 6:30-8. We'll be looking at how we can model our parenting on God's example so we can be the parent our children need. This study is co-ed, and childcare is available. Register at Westside Family Church. Click on LifeStudies and type Laying the Foundation into the search box.

As I sat down to write this morning, my 7-year-old wandered out from her room. Then came the words every mom dreads, "I don't feel good." A thermometer and mommy instincts confirmed that she, indeed, is not feeling good and will be staying home from school today. My guess is this is her third round of strep in less than a month.

I'll be honest. This is not how I planned to spend my day. My girls were off for Martin Luther King Day yesterday and had two snow days last week. It seems like they have been home more than they have gone to school this month. I have a lunch meeting I'll have to reschedule and work that needs to be done. There are carpools that will need to be rearranged, and I'll have to figure out how to get my oldest to soccer tonight.

Instead, we'll be headed to the doctor's office this morning, and I'll spend a good portion of my day cuddling with my girl. It's moments like these that we can either treasure or we can grumble. After writing about disappointments yesterday, I'm trying really hard to find the good in my day today.

I'm reminded of Jeremiah 29:11, which says "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future." While today's new plans don't seem prosperous or harmless, good may come of them. Maybe our doctor can figure out why my youngest keeps getting strep. She and I will get to spend some time together without anyone else around. I won't have to make a mad scramble tonight to figure out how to get her to hockey practice and my oldest to soccer practice at the same time tonight.

I'm going to try to practice what I was preaching yesterday and find the Pollyana moments in this day. It might not be what I had planned, but it is a moment that God can use. Maybe He already has.

1 comment:

  1. my devotion this morning said... Disruptions to your routine highlight your dependence on Me. Walk hand in hand with Me through this day b/c I have lovingly planned every inch of it :) I guess we both needed to hear it. Wonder what's going to interrupt me??

    ReplyDelete