Tuesday, May 24, 2011

It's Our Anniversary

Today is Everyday Truth's anniversary. A year ago today, I started the Everyday Truth blog with this post. I was reluctant to start a blog and post my triumphs and failures in parenting for everyone to see. I was most worried about the pressure it would put on my kids. I didn't want people to expect them to be perfect children or me to be a perfect mom.

My prayer has always been that God would protect my girls from criticism and judgment rendered just because their mom writes about parenting. You've probably noticed that I don't use their names in the blog. I know it's more impersonal for you to read, but it gives my girls a layer of protection. However, my fears of critique and judgment have generally been unfounded. God has protected my girls from all hurtful comments and judgment.

Once I pushed past that fear and began writing, I discovered something. I love this little community. Those of you who read, comment, press the "Like" button on the Facebook page and send me emails are the reason I get up at 6 a.m., five mornings a week to write what God puts on my heart. You are a group of the most encouraging, thoughtful readers. I love hearing suggestions, triumphs and concerns from you.

In the past year, I've learned a lot about how to write a good blog, a little about search engine optimization and to ask my children before I post anything potentially embarrassing to them. But the most important thing I've learned is that if God asks you to do something, He's going to show up and help you do it.

On this day last year, when I finally said "OK, God, let's go," I made a commitment to God that I would show up in my recliner ready to write every morning if He would show up as well. I've missed a few mornings, but God has never missed one.

In Philippians 1:4-6, Paul said "In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." God's good work in us begins with our salvation, but it continues on in the way that we serve Him.

Sometimes God asks us to do something that pushes us outside our comfort zone. We may be hesitant to step out and begin, but God is faithful to walk every step of the road with us. He is faithful to complete the good work He began.

A year ago, I really didn't think I had much to say on the topic of raising kids. I mean, really, what do I know? My kids are only halfway to being raised. Yet, God wasn't impressed with that argument. He knows a lot about raising kids. All I have to do is listen to Him.

And every morning, He has shown up and given me something to say. I know that He will continue to do so.

So, this morning, if you have been touched by something that appeared in this blog in the past year, take a minute and thank God for His faithfulness in providing something to say each morning. And if you have used one or more of the ideas in the blog in the past year, comment here or on the Facebook page and let us know how it worked.

I look forward to spending another year sharing God's wisdom with you. Thank you for letting me be a part of your lives for the past year. I can't wait to see what God has in store in the next 250 blog posts. Thanks for sharing the adventure with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment